The distance from Colombo to here is about 124 kilometers. The history of Puttalam dates back to arrival of Prince Vijaya in 6th century BC, nearly 2500 years before. Prince Vijaya from India arrived here with his crew to “Thambapanni” or “Kudiramalai” presently known as Manner which is an ancient sea port lies in the Western coast in the Wilpattu National Park.
Anawilundawa sanctuary in the Puttalam District is mostly popular among nature lovers and bird watchers. It is one of the RAMSA Wetland in Sri Lanka, about 1397 hectares in extent. There are six men -made interconnected tanks here. Rich in bio-diversity with many species of fauna & flora, including rare herbs, medicinal plants, reptiles, mammals, fish ,butterflies, endemic and migrant birds.
This giant tank is an ancient tank, which is believed to be built during the reign of king Kawanthissa. You can view this tank on Puttalam -Anuradhapura road.
Kalpititya is located 150kilometers away from Colombo. It is one of the most beautiful coastal areas located in the west coast of Sri Lanka. This has developed as a special Tourist Zone; it is a peninsula that separates the Puttalam Lagoon from the Indian Ocean. It is a Marine statuary with a diversity of habitats ranging from bar reefs, flat coastal plains, saltpans, mangrove swamps ,salt marshes and vast sand dune beaches ,visiting the bar reef is a must for scuba divers and snorkelers, but it is about one hour boat ride from Kalpitiya.
The remains of the Dutch Fort and St. Peters’ kerk Church in Kalpitiya are an excellent testimonial to the Colonial history. The Dutch Fort was built by the Portuguese in 1667. The Fort is located at the northern tip of narrow land situated nearby 50 kilometers away from Puttalam.
THALAWILA ST’ANNES’ CHURCH
It attracts the biggest Catholic pilgrims during the feast time. A lighthouse was constructed at the premises to mark its 25th anniversary held in 2012. The lighthouse was constructed as a relief to the fishing community.
The annual festival of this church is held in every August. This is one of the biggest festivals for Catholics in Sri Lanka.
WILPATTU NATIONAL PARK
This is the first declared national park in Sri Lanka in 1905. This park is located between Puttalam and Anuradhapura Districts. Located 188 km away from Colombo. The boarders of the park from north side are Modaragam Aru (river), Kal Aru & Malwattu Oya river, from South is Kala Oya, and from Western side the Indian Ocean. The total extent of the park is 131,667 hectares. The name Wilpattu was given because of its several Villus (salt marshes) numbering to 47. Most of the Villus contains with brackish water.
It has a dry low land climate conditions, and having an average temperature of 27 Celsius. There is well diversified flora and fauna in this park. Elephants and tuskers, bears, wild boar, monkeys, leopards, porcupines, crocodiles, tortoise, various reptiles, many species of lagoon fish, and birds are some of them.